Tuesday 30 June 2015

TREAD LIGHTLY: THE NEED FOR CAUTION ON YOUR DIGITAL PATH

As a primary teacher, I didn't really think much about the digital footprint of my students, nor the need to prepare them for the responsibilities of digital citizenship.  Most of them were too young to access an email, let alone join a social media site. Wow was I wrong! I recently read an article by L. Indvik (Oct. 10, 2010) citing that 92% of all toddlers in the US and 81% internationally, already have a digital footprint.  Furthermore, that of the children in this group, 23% of them had a prenatal presence online.  Whether, the were allowed to or not, chose to or didn't, my students were likely already passively online.  As a longtime advocate for integrating 
technology and utilizing the power  of social media as a teaching tool, I'll admit that this shocked me.

So if the above information is factual, what are we as educators doing to prepare our students for the digital world they are being born into?   


I started by taking a look in the mirror, or rather online.  As an example for my students, was my digital footprint devoted of shameful photos of binge drinking and colloquial filled posts?  Had I been careful what was connected to me as I navigated the net?  After the threats from our Faculty Advisors warning us of applying for jobs and having a background check done that can include all of our social media activity, I had become very cautious.  


But how could I model this behaviour for my primary aged students?


One day the students entered into the class to find a Facebook and Twitter space now on our classroom wall.  With technology at a premium, this low-tech version is great for exit cards.  I had posted on these walls pictures of me doing silly things and false comments about things I have done.  I continued to add images and comments as the day went on, ignoring the student’s questions and comments to me about my posts.  The next day I took them down and add positive things I had done and images of me that present a role model.  At the end of the day, I asked the students which M. Martin they liked better?  Which one would they want as a teacher?  Which one would they want as a friend?  The ensuing discussion was awesome and they absolutely got the point.  “You shouldn’t put stuff on the internet about yourself or others that is bad, cuz that is how people will see you...bad.”


We need to provide students with access to social media and model for them the positive ways of interacting as a digital citizen.  By giving them access to learn, they will use the knowledge gained to proceed appropriately.  I believe that schools and boards must adequately teach students how to manage digital footprints & the long term impact of their choices. The only way to teach this, is to give them the opportunity to learn.


Interesting Links


3 comments:

  1. Your post emphasizes that educators need to model the use of social media and by doing so, we need to know it ourselves. You also note the importance of citizenship, which can translate into real life, not just in digital life. Our behaviours always matters, regardless of medium. Thanks for the additional links as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I like your last sentence about giving opportunity to learn. So true. This past teaching year has been a real wake up for me as I didn't realize that primary students can be so capable with technology given the opportunity. Kids definitely have a truly wonderful ability of rising to challenges!

    ReplyDelete